Monday, January 28, 2013

An Essential Skill: Effective Communication

Humans are social beings. Whether one enjoys social interactions or not, you can’t avoid them. Effective communication is beneficial as you could get your points accurately across without any misinterpretation or conflicts. I took this course as I believed I have much to learn in this aspect.

As a third year student, I would be embarking on my final year in NUS in due time. Soon, it would be the time many of us will approached and attempted to convince a professor to take us in to do an Honours project. A year after that, I would be busy sending out resumes. I always let my nerves get the better of me at interviews and that made it hard to convince potential employers of my capabilities. It is tough to present oneself under pressure but it is something that I must learn to handle. Hopefully, by the end of this module, I would pick up some really essential communication skills and with that, more confidence.

Honestly, what I really wish to achieve is better communication between peers. Communication plays a very important role in maintaining interpersonal relationship. Be it for project discussions or daily conversations, there are plenty of times I questioned myself if I had presented my opinions correctly or were my intentions misunderstood. It can get frustrating when I have to spend more time to get my message across when there could have been a shorter way. Being able to articulate better would give one more confidence to lead as well. But of course, communication is more than just imparting information. Active listening increases one's  participation of the conversation by fully understanding what the speaker is trying to convey before giving appropriate responses. This would thus make communication more effective and improved work productivity. Hence, I would try my best to be a better listener from this point on!

On a side note, being a Science lover, I can get too geeky for my friends and family without the relevant background. Perhaps, one day I would be able share my love for the subject in an effective way?

I shall end the post with a really long comic strip :)

Till the next time,
Xiao Wei


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting post, Xiao Wei. I especially appreciate the way you focus and describe your specific communication needs.

    Also, I appreciate your use of the cartoon.

    At the same time, there are some very important language issues that need to be addressed. Language use impacts communication, and that's one reason the blogging can be useful. It will allow us to discuss these.

    A few language issues:

    1) I would be embarking on my final year in NUS in due time. >>>
    I WILL be embarking on my final year in NUS in due time.

    2) ...it would be the time.... >>> ???

    3) ...will approached and attempted.... >>> ???

    4) A year after that, I would be busy >>> ???

    5) Hopefully, by the end of this module, I would pick up ... >>> ???

    6) ...in maintaining interpersonal relationship. >>> generally, if a noun is a count noun, you need an article preceding it or you need to make it plural... which here? (please ask me about this in class)

    7) You write: "Be it for project discussions or daily conversations, there are plenty of times I questioned myself if I had presented my opinions correctly or were my intentions misunderstood."

    Ask me about this sentence, please. In fact, I want to point out some important info about blogging and the value of not being afraid to make mistakes precisely because this will enhance our learning.

    Can you remind me in class?

    Thank you for the great effort, and thanks in advance for allowing me to analyze some aspects of your language use here for the benefit of everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi xiao wei,
    I think the flow of your blog post is quite clear. You started with a short introduction of what is effective communication and followed by the reasons why effective communication skill is essential to you. In addition, you also included an important point which is that communication is not just about imparting information but also receiving it. Being an active listener is also equally important as you have to understand first before you can comment.
    Overall, I think your blog is easy to read and I can sort of relate to it since I will also be facing the same problems too.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete