Saturday, February 9, 2013

Resolving Interpersonal Conflict



To begin this story, I must let you in on one thing. I was brought up in a strict family. It is not as if I am on bad terms with my family, but to a certain extent I don't feel comfortable confiding in them and hence they know little about my personal life. (I have been working on it, things are much better now.)

So this incident goes 5 to 6 years back. It is what I remember as the worst 'fight' I ever had with my mum. My mum has a long list of rules for me, for the sole reason that I am a girl. There were many times when I feel frustrated about being constantly told what to do.

It was after a 4-days trip to Malaysia for an adventure camp. We came back to Singapore around 4 p.m. and went back to school to unload the logistics. When that was done, my friends suggested dinner. It had been a long day mainly due to all the travelling, but the enthusiasm from the camp had yet to rub off. I really wanted to join them, so I called home. Prior to that, I had texted my Mum the moment we reached Singapore. 

I remembered asking her whether she cooked dinner, and the answer was "no". So I asked her if I could join my friends for dinner. She was unhappy about it. Her reply was something like: "Aren't you suppose to be tired? Come home now." Naturally I said no, I want to join my friends for dinner. At this point, I was hungry, tired and getting a little frustrated.

I cannot remember the exact words she yelled next, but it was roughly about:
1. You are always running off somewhere with your friends 
2. You are tired so you should not stay out. (FYI, I did not tell her I was tired) 
3. Get back home now!

I was really angry about getting reprimanded when my friends were all within earshot. So I did not rebut and I went home. I reached home with a long face (more from exhaustion than anger actually) and that annoyed my Mum further. She repeated her lecture again, and well, I was not in the mood for an arguement. I have to admit, I am really bad with conflicts. I could have come up with an angry retort but I assumed that would make things worse; hence I gave her the cold shoulder and went to bed.

At the point of time, I thought she was being unreasonable and over reacted to a simple dinner request. I felt that it did not make sense for me to travel all the way home to have take-away food. It was disheartening to return home from overseas and get yelled at. I felt that she did not give me a chance to explain fully during the phone call. The next day, I was not mad anymore and I assumed things would be back to normal. When I realised my Mum was bent on ignoring me the whole day, my anger returned. I did not think I had done anything wrong and I was prepared to demonstrate the stubbornness of a Taurean. With that began one entire week of silent treatment on both sides.

Things eventually got better when my Dad stepped in to talk to me in private. So I took the first step to start a conversation with her, and things went back to normal. Although I still did not think I was out of line, I did wonder if I could have handled the situation better. The silent treatment can never solve any conflict.

While it is possible that I may have been on the receiving end of her temper due to a bad day, perhaps I made it worse by my response (or rather, the lack of it). I understand that when tension is high, one should not be too quick to come up with a rebuttal. It may have been better to make up with her the very next day. Perhaps if I had shared more about my friends with her, she would have reacted differently. Still, should I have explained my decision over the phone instead of grudgingly returning home? What should have been the appropriate response when you feel wrongly accused?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Xiao Wei,

    I like the way you presented the emotions in your blog post. It was a pleasure reading it.

    Judging from the way your mother responded to your request, she misses you after being away for four days. I guess what you did over the phone was right. Like what you mention, ‘…that when tension is high, one should not be quick to come up with a rebuttal.’ Staying quiet was the next best thing that you could have done. Alternatively, you could let her know that you understand her concern. You could reassure her that you will return home immediately after you are done with dinner with your friends and you are really hungry.

    I think the best thing that one should do when wrongly accused is to calm down and take a step back. One of the reasons for being wrongly accused is due to misunderstanding. In your post, you mention that it did not make sense for you to return home to have take-away food. You could have explained to your mum why it doesn't make sense. She might be more willing to let you dine with your friends.

    Glad you took the first step to start conversing with her. That’s a great way to handle a situation like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Xiao Wei,

    I totally feel you as I once had a cold war with my mum too.No matter how old the child is, it is really inevitable for a mum to show care and concern for her child. Often, tension may arise due to the different perception towards certain issues. Sometimes explain your decision may prevent unnecessary friction. Like dwayne, I also agree that '....when tension is high, one should not be quick to come up with a rebuttal.’ as one may accidentally spill out provoking words which will worsen the atmosphere. Therefore, from my point of view, you can try to talk to your mum about this issue after you have simmered down to prevent similar issues from happening. In addition, I am really glad that you've made the first move to reconcile. Eventhough, fighter or bickering may not be the best way to draw people together, but I believe that two person will be drawn closer together after that every fight. See you around in school.


    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Xiao Wei, for sharing this personal conflict. You describe it with lots of concrete detail and in such a way that the drama becomes palpable. The scenario is one that many of your readers can relate to since it involves parent and child.

    There are occasional lapses in language use the deter smooth reading. Please see below. The other issue I have is with the questions you pose. The 2nd in particular seems odd. Perhaps one question could be presented that would require the reader to give you specific advice on your course of action after the phone call.

    1) ...with my Mum. My Mum... >>> with my mum. My mum... (Do ask me about this.)

    2) ...an Adventure Camp. >>> ?

    3) ...at around late afternoon >>> ?

    4) ...to unload the logistics. >>> ?

    5) I remembered asking her whether she cooked dinner, and the answer was no. >>>
    I remembered asking her whether she had cooked dinner, and the answer was "no."

    6) if that's the case >>> ?

    7) getting reprimanded but my friends were all within earshot. >>>
    getting reprimanded WHEN my friends were all within earshot

    8) ... and well, I was really not in the mood for all that. >>> less conversational?

    9) I could have came up... >>> ?

    10) worse, hence >>> worse; hence, OR worse. Hence, why?

    11) instead of grudgingly returned home >>> instead of grudgingly returning home (do you see why ?)

    In any case, don't let my excessive grammar critique eclipse all that you've done well here. And you have received good feedback from two readers. I appreciate your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,

      Thank you for pointing out my mistakes! I have edited the post and I will be more careful in the future!

      Xiao Wei

      Delete
  4. Hi Xiao Wei,
    I really enjoyed your post. That's true- you got some really good feedback from the others and there is little to add. First of all Xiao Wei, I cannot picture you in a conflict of any kind. You just look harmless :)

    I love my mum and miss her very much but I cannot deny that she gave me some hard time in the past. My 2 years younger sister was always excused from cleaning the house every Saturday. All because she never put enough effort in her chores I was forced to redo her work anyway. This is one of many examples I had to deal with at home. Everything changed when I moved abroad. At the beginning, my mum was still a bit angry because she suddenly did not have her helper any more. By that she also meant a partner during discussions and meals.

    What I am trying to say is that love, especially parental, has sometimes weird and unexpected forms. Believe it or not- anger or frustration can be one of them. Maybe your mum was in that special moment of her life when she realized that you are a grown-up, that you have your friends, priorities, needs and your LIFE. An awareness, that a kids no longer sprints home as soon as it can might hurt our parents' feeling and that is something we can not change or influence. I am sure she loves you very much and dreads the moment you move out. Patience would be the key word.

    Sorry for such a long comment- I could not help it ☺

    See you tomorrow,
    Marta.

    P.S. Please note that my blog's address is: http://martatextblog.wordpress.com/
    I will be very grateful for any feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marta,

      Thank you so much for your own story. It goes to show everyone have a story. I used to tolerate their 'crazy' more than attempting to understand them. That had changed over the years, but I guessed I would never understand a parent's woes until I am one myself. Right now I am doing my best to maintain a positive relationship with her.

      Anyway, I miss your comments in class! See you around NUS!

      XW

      Delete
  5. Hi Xiaowei!!

    After reading your blog post during class, i've been wanting to come and comment! :)

    I face the exact same problem as you when I was at that age. my parents are VERY strict with me too (in fact, i was never able to really go out with my friends till i was in JC). thus, i really understand the frustration you had when your mum disallowed you to join your friends for dinner.

    However, I guess it was better for my case as my mum always tried to speak to me calmly. she hardly raised her voice at me, unless she was really angry over something. But I've also had my share of cold wars with my mum, and what I would do is that I would ALWAYS say sorry first (because my mum will never do that) and then reason out with her why you were frustrated over her decision.

    I do not think that you should have tried to reason with her over the phone (she was too worked up to have listened anyway). However, i guess it would be better to talk things out when you reached home, instead of giving her the cold shoulder. After years of experience with my mum, i realised that talking is always better than ignoring, it gives her the chance to understand you better! I never used to talk to my parents much about my personal life, but i'm slowly trying to engage them more. parents love it when you share things with them, and it draws you guys closer too. :)

    Hope my long comment has been of any help! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bao Wen!

      Sorry for the late reply! :)

      I suppose, as teenagers, we all had moments when we felt misunderstood and hence tried to shut our parents out. I learned over the years that honest conversations with my mum helped improved our relationships. I am a lot more cautious of the tone I used with her during disagreements and I let her in more and more about my personal life like you did. I am looking forward to the day I earned her trust completely and I hope you earn your parents' too!


      XW

      Delete