Sunday, April 21, 2013

Final Reflection =')

Another 13 weeks came and went. ES2007s had been unexpectedly enjoyable. Where do I even begin?

Honestly, I love writing. The only problem was my grammar skills (or the lack of it). That made me think twice before bidding for this particular module as I am afraid of how my peers would be one step of ahead of me. Having heard how useful this course was, I decided to take a gamble, and I am glad I did. The first weeks were hard due to the topics for blogging. It had been too long since I had to write something "formal" that was not a lab report. That being said, I wrote at least 3 lab reports each semester and never gotten back a single feedback. It gets frustrating after all the effort I put into it but never to learn how to make it better. So I am really thankful for the feedback from the class and Brad to improve my writing. I found that by reading different writing styles of my peers is, in fact, a great way to improve my own! I have definitely learned lots about writing and will continue to strive for improvement.

Another aspect of the class that made it so special was the resume writing. This was not like the other preparation course I had been to before. Eventually, the purpose of all these years of education is to pursue a desired career. Having to peer teach this particular topic and also to go through weeks of revising resumes and application letters had been an extremely rewarding. While I had a rough idea of the importance of these documents, it was not until we sat down to compare resumes as a HR team did it hit me how crucial it is to have a well crafted one that stands out. I may have not quite grasp the ability to perform well in job interviews, but the exercise have definitely made me more prepared.

I could go on forever about how useful the things we learned in this module, but I am sure you all know that well enough and I do not wish to repeat my thoughts of the OP. The most memorable part of the class was not the content but the environment. It was a good change to be in a small tutorial class where thoughts and opinions are easily shared and friends readily made. It was such pleasure to get to know everyone from our 4 short hours together every week. Thank you all for making the class an enjoyable one and I wish everyone all the best in your future endeavors, especially for those of you that are graduating and our lovely ladies on exchange!

Lastly, I want to thank you Brad. You have been an amazing teacher and never once made me feel silly or stupid despite the many mistakes I have made with my writing. The lessons would not have been so rewarding and enjoyable without you. Hope to see you around campus! =)


WORK HARD & GOOD LUCK FOR FINALS EVERYONE!!!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Xiao Wei, for this comprehensive reflection. In it you give a clear indication of various aspects of the course that have left an impression with you. Of course, I'm happy to hear that the feedback given proved valuable to you. I'm only surprised that you don't receive any feedback on your lab reports. I'd like to clarify this though. When you wrote that you have submitted at least three reports each semester and have never gotten feedback, does that mean NEVER? Could you let me know the number of reports, over the number of semesters that you are suggesting?

    Also, it warms my heart to know that the class atmosphere was conducive to your learning. A big part of that is the nature of the tasks, and another is the chemistry of the people involved.

    Thank you, Xiao Wei, for making many fine contributions this term in the way of your individual and group work. Your willingness to participate, to ask questions and offer comments, and your bright, engaging smile, helped make this a very special term.

    All the best in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad,

    Our lab reports are graded by teaching assistants and while some of them do give constructive criticism, a lot of them do not. It is unfortunate that for the last few semesters I had came across more of the latter. Hence, the only markings made on my papers were my grades for all the recent classes I took. In general, we are typically required to write 2-3 reports for a module with laboratory sessions and most of my peers take 1 or 2 such core modules each semester.

    The thing is we are required to complete a thesis for our final year so it gets frustrating for me to never quite know how to improve on writing a scientific report. That being said, I will keep on working on my writing by consulting with friends that are stronger writers.

    Cheers,
    Xiao Wei

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Xiao Wei!

    I share your sentiments on the lab reports. It seems common not to get back any feedback and sometimes not even know the grade achieved for the lab reports. I guess they are trying to mimic the real working world but it doesn't make sense since we come to school to learn. Thankfully, as you pointed out, we get a chance to peer read. Being exposed to other's style of writing certainly helped in improving one's writing. It's this kind environment where sharing of ideas made this module beneficial for all.

    All the best for your finals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dwayne

    I am glad I am not the only one that think so! Writing is a universally important skill regardless of whatever career we choose in the future. I wish we have more opportunities to learn like this class. Thank you for your comment & good luck to you too!

    XW

    ReplyDelete