Thursday, April 18, 2013

Reflections on Oral Presentation

The last time I presented to a class before this module, was two years ago. I have never been particularly terrified of presenting in front of a crowd but I knew that I was not a great speaker. Even then, I was not fond of scripts and preferred to elaborate from pointers on my slides. The result was unnecessary fillers. 

This time, I wrote a script for mock presentation and also partly, to be more persuasive. Though I intended to just familiarised myself with the crucial points, I inevitably ended up memorising them as I practiced. I never like the idea of memorising as I fear that I might blank out during the presentation itself. So to prevent this, my preparation included presenting to a mirror. My confidence grew as I practiced more and this greatly reduced my stage fright on the actual day. 

I feel that one of my weaknesses is that I become utterly unaware of my body language when I am focused on getting my points across to the audience. For the mock, I received feedback that I was too rigid. But for the actual OP, I heard I was moving in circles. I will definitely work on this for future presentations! 

One of the takeaways I had watching the other groups' OP was the importance of having effective slides. Having simple and aesthetically pleasing slides really helps the audience to pay attention. There is definitely more to slides making than I initially thought!

During our practice session, all of us were tripping over our words, having yet internalised the content. However, I felt that everyone improved tremendously by the time we had our actual presentation. So, thank you Christopher, Samantha and Sharlene for your hard work and contributions to this project!!!

Lastly, thank you all for the kind words regarding my presentation. I think the strength of my presentation stem from the fact that this issue is something that I am personally concerned about. I guess, in order to be persuasive and convincing, it helps to strongly believe in your proposed idea first. Either that, or fake it well :) 



If anyone is interested, this is the full version of the apology video we showed in class!


8 comments:

  1. Good evening Xiao Wei,

    Thanks for sharing your experience of the oral presentation, and also the apology video. The video as well as your presentation really caught my attention! You sounded persuasive and it was interesting to listen to you, which I find one of the most important thing during a performance.

    As you mentioned in this blogpost you practiced and knew your speech very well which is really good. Tough, this can be the reason why I thought you spoke a bit too fast sometimes.
    Another tiny thing you can try to improve is to not point so much against the slides when you change slide. I know it is hard and that most of us do it, but it is always good to have in mind.

    You had an amazing eye contact with the audience, and as I mentioned in the beginning of this comment you did an interesting and great presentation!

    Have a good night sleep and I see you tomorrow morning.

    Sofie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sofie,

      Thank you for pointing out that I spoke too fast. I had noticed I tend to speed up when I am nervous but I will work on that! Together with the pointing bit as well!

      I am glad that you found our presentation interesting! It is a topic I am truly concerned about. I wonder if Sweden have the same issue? Anyway, hope that NUS have been great for you!

      All the best for finals =)

      Delete
  2. Hi xiao wei,

    I too have the same problem of having limited presentation opportunities, hence I can totally understand how you felt at the start. You did great for the oral presentations. I think you did not even stutter at all. Your speech was also convincing and I was able to listen to your presentation attentive.

    Initially when you were moving up and down during the presentation, I thought you shifted cause you were aware that you were standing a bit far from the screen. I would not have known that you did not realise it if I didn't read your post. So I guess the movement was more of a sign of awareness to your non-verbal cues. haha

    Anyway great job for the presentation! you really had fake it till you make it: )

    michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle!

      Thank you for the encouragement! I did realised I was standing too far away actually. I was talking about me dancing on the spot when I am presenting :) I will learn to be more self aware.

      Looking forward to seeing you in school!

      Delete
  3. Hi Xiao Wei,

    I think you really gave a good opening during our group's oral presentation. I saw the confidence and the enthusiasm in you when you introduced our project to the class. When we were doing our private practice sessions, I thought that you were impressive (and you mentioned in your blog post that you actually practiced in front of the mirror). Also, your slides made you even more impressive. I felt that your slides had the least words as compared to the rest of us, and the focus was really on you. As compared to the very first time i saw you present, you are definitely a more confident and engaging speaker now. You maintained good eye contact with the audience and you made me interested in listening to you speak. Well done team mate.

    I realised that both of us are pretty similar when we give oral presentations. We tend to speak a little faster and we circle around our stage. I was subconsciously aware that I was moving too much as well. Thus, during our future oral presentations, we should be more conscious of our non-verbal and make an attempt to minimize movement, but of course not to the other extreme of being too rigid. We’ve got so much more to learn from and we should continuously attempt to improve ourselves till we get the hang of it.

    Practise makes perfect.

    Sharlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharlene

      Thank you for the encouragement especially during the practices. It helped a lot to have ran through several times with you guys as it made me more confident as a presenter. Lets work on being more self aware together!

      Catch you around!

      Delete
  4. Hi Xiaowei,

    Sorry for missing your group's presentation. I have just gone through the video and it is really a nice and moving one.

    Though I haven't watched your proposal presentation, but from your peer teaching and mock interview, I really think you are a good presenter. Your delivery speed is nice and your ability to compose sentences from the meanings is also quite strong.

    I also noticed your nonverbal during the mock interview as well. It was quite easy to tell when you are talking and when you are reciting a story. You tend to have less eye contact and be more rigid when you are reciting or try to recall something. There's one way you can give it a try. When you are practicing in front of the mirror, just add in nonverbal and practice it as well. In this way you will be more conscious about your own nonverbal.

    Hope this helps and all the best for your finals.

    Warmest regards,
    Zhiwei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zhiwei

      Thank you for your pointers! Wish you were there though. You can always wait for Christopher's photos :) Your suggestions sound great. I am so touched that you remembered my peer teaching! I will definitely work on my non verbals in my future presentations and interviews.

      All the best to you too!!

      Delete