Monday, March 11, 2013

Evaluating Intercultural Behavior

For a city dweller like me, stepping into a rural area in Cambodia was truly an eye-opening experience. I went on a Youth Expedition Project trip last December along with 21 of my friends. The villagers were extremely welcoming but I will like to share about something that occurred outside of our village.

During the three week stay, my friends and I visited a small church in town. Most of us are not religious, but we were keen to see how Christmas was celebrated in this country. We sat through most of it rather uncomfortably due to the language difference. The church prepared dinner and after everyone ate, the crowd started to disperse. A few guys around our age picked up their instruments and started to play. The girls brought us to the middle of the church where all the chairs were cleared to create a dance floor. Turned out that they have a practice of social dancing during parties and gatherings and they were encouraging us to join in!

According to Wikipedia, the two most common dances are the Romvong and Romkbach. The girls taught us both dances which involve elegant hand gestures and simple foot work. It was definitely fun trying to learn those dances but after a while, it got repetitive. The music changed but the dances were essentially the same. Hence, most of us ended up either simply moving to the beat or sitting in a corner, exhausted.

I initially wanted to share a photo from the day itself, but I could not find one that really illustrate how the Romkbach is like. So here is a textbook drawing instead:

Only only my Vietnamese friend persisted in dancing with them. She just started learning Latin dancing in NUS, but in my own opinion, she is rather talented. My friend spent the entire evening dancing and laughing with the girls, while the rest of us watched them in awe. It was really amazing how well she fitted in despite the lack of a common language. A bond was made simply because they shared the same love for dance. She showed them some of her own Latin dance moves and the girls looked  really impressed. When we had to leave, my friend was rather reluctant and she shared a long embrace with the girls.

I found it rather endearing, that they seemed to have forged a genuine friendship in that few short hours. It did not seem to matter to anyone that they came from different backgrounds and spoke different languages. They interacted and bonded without the need for a spoken conversation. I did wondered why none of the Singaporeans got close to these girls. Perhaps it was apparent that my friend truly appreciated their dances, hence the girls enjoyed spending time with her. We should have been quite honored that they treated us with such hospitality. Maybe there is a significance to social dancing that we could not quite grasp? In retrospect, I guess the rest of us could have tried harder to get to join in rather than having fun on our own. I was particularly wary of some of my peers who were sat out as they were not interested in dancing. I honestly hoped we did not leave a bad impression on them! Regardless, it was one of my many memorable experiences in Cambodia and I was grateful to get a glimpse of their lifestyle and culture.  


And here is a short video of the Romkbach, take a look :)

Jump to 1:30 if you want to learn the Romvong.



8 comments:

  1. Hey xiao wei(:

    I think your post was really interesting! And I watched the video you posted of the Romkbach, it looks so graceful, but the hand and foot work look complicated.

    Anyway I think your post highlighted a very valid point that sometimes different cultures don't need a common language to be able to engage in extensive interaction with one another. In a way, you could even say that your Vietnamese friend and these Cambodian girls were actually united through the culture of dance. I feel that this is actually what is so unique about art forms, because mediums such as dance or or visual arts don't make use of words or writing, which means that everyone can understand and relate to it, albeit in different ways.

    After reading your post, I feel that dance is actually a pretty good means by which to bridge the cultural divide between two distinct groups of people! Thanks for sharing! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail,

      Thanks for your comment! It is so true that art forms are a great way to communicate because it breaches the language barrier. You are right though; everyone relates and responds to them in different ways, influenced by our own cultures. That is possibly why some of my friends enjoyed themselves during the social dances while others were more eager to head home.

      It was hard to get everyone to appreciate the same thing. Eventually, it goes back to how much the individual is willingly to adapt to different cultures.

      Anyway, I guessed the Cambodians figured out your last point before we did. Why else would they implement dancing during social gatherings?

      XW.

      Delete
  2. This is very interesting, Xiao Wei, in that you focus on a very specific incident in an event with members of different cultural groups. You describe the interaction well. What is striking is how dance, which is a cultural universal but not practiced by everyone equally, helped the Vietnamese girl bond with the Cambodians, while those of you who didn't participate so much -- all Singaporeans? -- might have seemed aloof. Is that possible? If that perception were possible, do you think, in retrospect, that you should have gotten more involved?

    In any case. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,

      I may have highlighted that my friend was a foreigner but I do not think that was the reason for her ability to bond well with the Cambodians. I felt that it was her own personal love for dance that made the difference. It was a mere coincidence that all of the Singaporeans do not have dance backgrounds. Maybe Singaporeans take longer to warm up to strangers? I would say all of us tried our best at the beginning but many of my friends were exhausted after a long day and hence opted to sit out.

      Although there were a few of my friends that truly did not like dancing, during our last night in the village, everyone had a blast dancing along with our neighbours. I supposed everyone made the extra effort because we had befriended the villagers over the past weeks.

      So I guessed the majority of us felt really out of place dancing in the church with strangers. None of us knew that dancing is a big part of their social interaction perhaps until our last night. At least, that was the case for me. We definitely could have encouraged each other to be more participative during the social dances. Maybe, if there is a next time, we can share our own music with them too!

      Xiao Wei.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Xiao Wei, for explaining in more detail. :)

      Brad

      Delete
  3. Hello Xiao Wei,

    This post is really interesting. I totally agree the point that nonverbal communication can bond people from different cultures together. In fact,I have experienced this situation in Cambodia. I am sure you have mingled with Cambodian kids and have lots of fun during those interaction. As I did mural painting and reconstructed a kindergarten, we get to non-verbally interact with the village kids. Even though we only piggy-backed and played with them, we can really feel the invisible bond which strongly tied us together. Upon separation, we heavyheartedly waved and hugged everyone of our favorite kids.

    Thank you for sharing! Don't worry you didn't leave a bad impression on them, they are just too shy to take the first step out to hug you. See you around:)

    Cheers,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyllis,

      I love the Cambodian kids! The major difference was that they were the one that would come to us as they had associated us as new playmates. The youth at the church were a lot more 'cautious' of us even though they were friendly in their ways. While the children would pester you to play with them, the youth would pretty much leave you alone if they got the vibe that you weren't interested.

      If only your team went to a dance too, then we could have compared the interactions!

      XW.

      Delete
  4. Hi Xiaowei,

    I really like how you illustrated the fact that dance can bring people together and allow people to forge meaningful bonds wth one another despite the existing cultural differences. I had a similar experience when I went on a tour with my secondary school choir to Prague for an international competition. We met choirs from South Africa and Kazahkstan on a cruise ride and began to mingle around as they were really spontaneous friendly towards us. Needless to say, were alot of language barriers and cultural differences that made communication difficult. However, these were resolved when we started singing together. Cultural universals are amazing!:)

    Thanks for sharing your experience! Really enjoyed reading your post:)

    ReplyDelete